Frimley Fuel Allotments Charity has given £52,000 to schools in the GU15/16 post code areas to buy more laptops for children and students currently studying from home without basic IT equipment.
With stories in the media about households sharing one laptop between many and some relying on mobile phones, the charity contacted local schools to find out the level of unmet need. The call went out on Monday 11th January and by Friday 15th all schools that responded had been given the go ahead to buy a total of around 200 laptops.
The response from Head Teachers has been enthusiastic:
- “The teachers will be delighted as additional chrome books will allow our more disadvantaged children to fully benefit from the great on-line teaching resources they are providing despite trying to grapple with new technology!.”
- “We can’t thank you enough for this generous donation which will make a world of difference to our students. Thank you so much on behalf of us all.”
- “Just wanted to convey our gratitude to you on behalf of all of the families in our community that will benefit from this. To all the trustees, thank you so very much for both initially contacting us during this time and for the extremely generous donation that you are making!“
- “We are so grateful that you can support the school with some money for laptops. We shall now get on the case to purchase some and get them out to some needy families!”
- “This has made my day and without a doubt, the families you are about to help. I cannot thank you and the team at Frimley Fuel Allotments Charity enough.”
The Fuel Allotments is a charity with a 200 year history. It exists to help people in need in the former Frimley Urban District Council area [now GU15/16]. Most of its income is from Pine Ridge Golf Club which leases the land on which the golf course is built. More information, including how to apply for a grant, can be found on the website: frimleyfuelallotments.org.